If you’re in the market for a new cooktop, you may be wondering if an induction cooktop is the right choice. Induction cooktops have taken the home cooking world by storm in recent years, and for good reason: they offer many advantages over traditional gas and electric cooktops. If you’re still on the fence about whether or not to invest in an induction cooktop, read on to learn more about why they are so popular and why America’s Test Kitchen recommends the best portable induction cooktop.
List of the Best Portable Induction Cooktop America’s Test Kitchen
What is a Portable Induction Cooktop?
A portable induction cooktop is a small, lightweight cooking appliance that can be used to cook food on the go. Induction cooktops work by using magnetic fields to generate heat, which means they are much more efficient than traditional electric or gas cooktops. Portable induction cooktops are becoming increasingly popular as people look for ways to save space and energy while cooking.
So how does a Portable Induction Cooktop work?
Portable induction cooktops work by using magnetic fields to generate heat. This means that they are much more efficient than traditional electric or gas cooktops. The Cooktop uses a magnetic field to create resistance in the metal of the pot or pan, which in turn produces heat. This makes it possible to cook food quickly and evenly without using as much energy as a traditional cooktop.
What are the benefits of using a Portable Induction Cooktop?
There are many benefits to using a portable induction cooktop, including:
- -They are much more efficient than traditional cooktops, so you’ll save energy and money in the long run.
- -They’re lightweight and portable, so you can take them with you when you travel.
- -They’re easy to use, so you’ll be able to cook your food quickly and easily.
- What are the downside of using a Portable Induction Cooktop?
- There are a few downsides to using a portable induction cooktop, including:
- -They can be more expensive than traditional cooktops.
- -They require special cookware that is made of ferrous metals, such as cast iron or stainless steel. If you don’t have the right cookware, your food will not cook evenly.
- -They can be tricky to use if you’ve never used one before. It’s important to read the instructions carefully and practice before cooking with one.
Reviews of The Best Portable Induction Cooktop America’s Test Kitchen
Top 1 – Breville|PolyScience the Control Freak Commercial Induction Cooking System
According to America’s Test Kitchen, the Breville|PolyScience the Control Freak is the best portable induction cooktop – and the reasons are not far-fetched. This product is perfect for casual home cooks and commercial kitchens needing portable stoves.
The Breville|PolyScience the Control Freak weighs about 16lbs, making it one of the heaviest cooktops on this list. Furthermore, it comes in a rectangular shape with a silver and black design. This model is a clear winner with its incredible precision for perfect results.
This beast has a wide temperature range from 86 – 482 degrees F and can hold nearly 400 different temperature settings. Even better, it’s equipped with the Create function to allow you to store and easily access your favorite temperature profiles.
Engineered with commercial applications in mind, this induction cooktop is highly durable, thanks to its stainless steel construction. Also, the housing is highly resistant to nicks and scratches.
On top of that, it’s backed by a 2-year manufacturer warranty to offer customers peace of mind with their purchase. This cooktop is an instructional and travel-friendly machine, suitable for working chefs without compromising precision and performance.
- Probe Control for great precision
- Easy to operate with the through-the-glass pan temperature sensor for easy operation
- Wide temperature range: 86 – 482 degrees F
- 1800 Watts of heat capacity
- Sturdy stainless steel construction
- Warranty holds only for commercial use
Top 2 – Duxtop 9600LS/BT-200DZ Portable Induction Cooktop
The Duxtop Portable Induction Cooktop is a versatile appliance packing a cornucopia of features to allow home cooks to use it as an extra cooking area or a warming platform.
Talking about features, this cooktop features a digital LCD sensor-touch control panel with Keep Warm, Fast Broil, and Safety Lock button. The latter is handy for casual cooks with kids to prevent the charming little ones from operating the device.
Needless to say, it comes in a compact design and is lightweight for fuss-free handling and easy storage. The Duxtop Portable Induction Cooktop has an integrated 10-hour countdown digital timer with a 1-minute increment for great cooking precision. In addition, it offers a generous temperature range from 100 to 460 degrees F.
Equally important, this Duxtop 9600LS/BT-200DZ Portable Induction Cooktop has auto-pan detection that automatically shuts off the appliance if no pan or pot is correctly placed in 60 seconds. Also, it’s backed by a 1-year warranty to protect buyers from manufacturing defects.
- Sensor touch control panel for easy operation
- Equipped with safety features such as overheat protection, auto-pan detection, etc.
- Compact and lightweight
- Nonstick glass surface for easy maintenance
- Includes a Fast Boil and Keep Warm button
- The temperature control could be better
Top 3 – NuWave PIC Gold Portable Energy Efficient Induction Cooktop
NuWave is a leading brand in this space with its line of high-quality kitchen appliances over the years; it’s no surprise the NuWave Precision Induction Cooktop makes it to our list.
This appliance has a digital LCD screen for easy view and a round cooking surface to eliminate awkward corners and minimize accidents while using this beast. This model offers the widest temperature range in our review, from 100 to 575 degrees F, while offering up to 53 cooking temperature settings.
With its extensive range and precise control, this 1500-watt model can handle just about anything thrown at it, including keeping food warm and searing steaks. The NuWave PIC Gold Portable Energy Efficient Induction Cooktop features a 100-hour memory function to store your cooking procedures for a quick recall. Even better, it has a Delay function to allow home cooks to choose a convenient time for the appliance to initiate the cooking process.
In addition, this best portable induction cooktop America’s Test Kitchen comes with 6 pre-programmed temp settings, which you can customize to your preference. This portable induction will come in handy for folks looking to prepare complicated dishes.
On the downside, users should expect a learning curve due to its sophisticated programs. The power cord might be a bit too short, 3 feet, to handle its power 1,500-watt heating element. Also, it’s backed by a 1-year warranty that’s only honored if you purchase the appliance directly from their store or authorized resellers.
- Easy to store and user-friendly
- Amazing flexibility with its 52 temperature settings
- Supplied with an induction-ready 10.5-inch Hard Anodized Duralon Fry Pan
- 100 hours of memory
- Short 3-foot power cold
1-year manufacturer warranty only holds if the device is purchased directly from the brand or other authorized resellers
Top 4 – Rosewill RHAI-13001 1800W Induction Cooktop
You might want to consider the Rosewill Induction Cooker if you are on a budget. This unit has a high 1800W heating element to deliver unparalleled cooking performance. This model packs many exciting features and extra accessories to ensure buyers get great value for money.
To sweeten the deal, the Rosewill RHAI-1300 is supplied with an induction-ready stainless steel pot to allow users to start cooking straight out of the box. Further, it offers 8 temperature settings within its decent cooking temperature range from 150 – 450 degrees F.
Even better, it features a 3-hour countdown timer which should be enough time to cook most meals.
- It comes with a stainless steel pot
- 3-hour countdown timer
- Equipped with a powerful 1800-watt heating element
- Affordable price points
- Very basic LED screen
Top 5 – True Induction Energy Efficient Single Cooktop
Warping up our list is the True Induction Energy Efficient Single Cooktop with a compact design, affordable price point, and better energy efficiency.
This unit features a thin glass design, offering a modern style to improve your workspace’s overall aesthetics. Also, it makes cleanup a breeze. For casual cooks using a timer to prevent overcooking your food, this appliance’s 150-minute countdown timer will come in handy.
It’s equipped with a 1600-w heating element offering a maximum cooking temperature of 450 degrees F to allow you to cook just about anything.
- Decent temperature range from 150 – 450 degrees F
- Thin and elegant design
- Glass-ceramic construction for easy cleanup
- 150-minute countdown timer
- On the heavier side
Types of Portable Induction Cooktop
- Single burner: A single burner portable induction cooktop is the most basic type. It is small and lightweight, making it perfect for traveling.
- Double burner: A double burner portable induction cooktop is slightly larger and heavier than a single burner, but it offers twice the cooking power. This makes it ideal for cooking large meals.
- Portable induction oven: A portable induction oven is the largest and most powerful type of portable induction cooktop. It is perfect for cooking large meals or for use in a commercial kitchen.
Factors when buying the Best Portable Induction Cooktop America’s Test Kitchen
- Size: The size of the cooktop is important to consider. If you plan on cooking large meals, then you’ll need a larger cooktop. However, if you only plan on using it for small meals or for traveling, then a smaller cooktop will suffice.
- Price: Portable induction cooktops can range in price from around $100 to $1,000. The price will depend on the size and features of the cooktop.
- Brand: There are many different brands of portable induction cooktops on the market. Some of the most popular brands include Duxtop, NuWave, and Secura.
- Cookware compatibility: Not all cookware is compatible with induction cooktops. Make sure that you have the right kind of cookware before purchasing an induction cooktop.
- Features: Some induction cooktops come with additional features, such as timers and temperature control. These features can be helpful, but they are not essential.
- Warranty: Most portable induction cooktops come with a one-year warranty.
How to use Portable Induction Cooktop safest?
- Read the instructions carefully before using the cooktop.
- Make sure that you have the right kind of cookware. Induction cooktops will only work with ferrous metals, such as cast iron or stainless steel.
- Place the cooktop on a level, heat-resistant surface.
- Turn on the cooktop and set it to the desired temperature.
- Place the pot or pan on the cooktop and wait for it to heat up.
- Cook the food according to your recipe.
- Turn off the cooktop and unplug it when you’re finished cooking.
Frequently Asked Questions Portable Induction Cooktop
Q: What is a portable induction cooktop?
A: A portable induction cooktop is a small, lightweight cooktop that uses induction cooking. Induction cooking is a type of cooking that uses electromagnetic fields to heat food.
Q: What are the benefits of using a portable induction cooktop?
A: There are many benefits to using a portable induction cooktop, including: they are much more efficient than traditional cooktops, they’re lightweight and portable, and they’re easy to use.
Q: What are the downsides of using a portable induction cooktop?
A: There are a few downsides to using a portable induction cooktop, including: they can be more expensive than traditional cooktops, they require special cookware, and they can be tricky to use if you’ve never used one before.
Q: What are some of the best portable induction cooktops on the market?
A: Some of the best portable induction cooktops on the market include the Duxtop 8300ST, the NuWave PIC Gold, and the Secura 9100MC.
Q: How do I choose the best portable induction cooktop for my needs?
A: When choosing a portable induction cooktop, you’ll need to consider factors such as size, price, brand, cookware compatibility, and features. You’ll also want to make sure that you choose a cooktop with a warranty.
Q: How do I use a portable induction cooktop?
A: Using a portable induction cooktop is relatively easy.
First, make sure that you have the right cookware. Induction cooktops will only work with ferrous metals, such as cast iron or stainless steel.
Next, place the cooktop on a level, heat-resistant surface. Turn on the cooktop and set it to the desired temperature. Place the pot or pan on the cooktop and wait for it to heat up. Cook the food according to your recipe.
Finally, turn off the cooktop and unplug it when you’re finished cooking.
The best portable induction cooktop America’s Test Kitchen is the one that has the features you need and fits your budget. We hope our review of the top five portable induction cooktops has helped you choose the right model for your needs. If you are ready to buy, be sure to check out the best deals on Amazon.com by clicking on the link below. Thanks for reading!