Pizza is a classic American dish. Whether you like your pizza with pepperoni and sausage or just cheese, everyone has their own favorite type of pizza. If you want to make the perfect pizza at home, you need the right tools. A pizza stone is one of the most important tools for making pizzas at home. In this post, we’ll take a look at the best pizza stones according to America’s Test Kitchen. We’ll also give you tips on how to use a pizza stone to make the perfect pizza every time.
List of The Best Pizza Stone America’s Test Kitchen
What is a Pizza Stone?
A pizza stone is a flat, round piece of stone or ceramic that is used to bake pizza. It absorbs and evenly distributes heat, creating a crispy, delicious crust. Pizza stones can be used on the grill, in the oven, or even in a campfire!
So how does a pizza stone work?
The stone evenly distributes heat to the pizza, creating a crispy crust. The heat is absorbed by the stone, and then radiated back up to the pizza. This process creates an evenly cooked pizza with a crispy crust.
Pizza stones are typically made of ceramic, stone, or even metal. They come in a variety of sizes, but most are around 16 inches in diameter. If you’re using a pizza stone on the grill, make sure it is heat-resistant and can handle high temperatures.
Pizza stones are a great way to get a crispy, delicious pizza crust. If you’re looking for an easy way to upgrade your pizza night, consider investing in a pizza stone!
Reviews of the Best Pizza Stone America’s Test Kitchen
Top 1 – Outset 76176 Pizza Grill Stone Tiles
The Outset Pizza Grill Stone comes in a set of 4, making it an excellent pick for people on a budget. This model sports a cordierite construction that guarantees each piece can handle high thermal without cracking or last a long time.
These pizza stones America’s Test Kitchencan handle heat up to 1450 degrees F allowing users to use them on a grill or oven. These tiles have a thin 0.4-inch thickness for fast baking and crispy crust. It comes in handy for making breakfast or your favorite home-style pizza.
Even better, it’s hassle-free to maintain and clean. With a sponge and warm water, you can have this best pizza stone by America’s Test Kitchen looking brand-new and ready for your next baking session.
- Heat safe up to 1450 degrees F
- 0.4-inch thick for quick heating
- Made of cordierite stone
- It comes in a set of 4
- It tends to break easily
Top 2 – NerdChef Steel Stone
This American-made stone, the NerdChef Steel Stone, is designed to be an heirloom. This model won’t crack like the ceramic models. This product is available in different thickness options – ½, ⅜, and ¼-inch.
Regardless of your choice, this stone is thick and heavy. However, the lighter model among the three options bakes faster for the crispier crust but won’t be perfect for batch cooking. This NerdChef Steel Stone comes pre-seasoned with flaxseed oil for a natural, easy-release food performance.
In addition, it offers a wide workspace to allow you to make big round pizzas up to 14 inches. Even better, it has finger holes to let you hang and handle this heavy steel. Also, it boasts fast heat transfer and double heat capacity, making it an easy pick over ceramic stones.
Get the NerdChef Steel Stone to transform your home oven into a wood-fired oven offering a 1000 degree F heat performance.
- Creates gorgeous crusts
- Fast bake time
- Made from steel for lifetime durability
- It comes with finger holes for better handling
- On the heavier side
Top 3 – SOLIDO Rectangular 14 X 16 Baking Stone
The SOLIDO Rectangular Baking Stone comes in the right size to fit most ovens. This way, you can leave this study tool in your ovens without taking it out now and then. This product is made from Cordierite Stone and is about 1.1-inch thick for even heat distribution.
This stellar performer features a heat spiral to store heat towards the center and deliver faster heat up. Hence, this baking stone cooks the middle topping and the ones on the edges deeply and flavorfully. Also, it’s perfect for your frozen pizza to ensure every bite is mouthwatering.
Even better, the SOLIDO Rectangular 14 X 16 Baking Stone is handy for other baking purposes other than pizza. Its large cooking surface and high heat retention allow you to cook several batches in a shorter period – since you don’t have to reheat between sessions.
Worth mentioning, this best pizza stone is a breeze to clean – all you need is a damp cloth to scrub and scrape off the residue. However, grease tends to stain the baking stone, which won’t affect the stone’s overall baking performance and efficiency.
- It comes with feet for stability
- Easy to clean
- Rectangular shape for all baking purposes
- 1.1-inch thick for outstanding heat transfer and retention
- The price tag is a bit salty
Top 4 – CastElegance 16″ Round Pizza Stone
Homemade pizzas are no doubt healthier and tastier options. But for the best experience, you want to bake with a good pizza stone like CastElegance 16″ Round Pizza Stone.
Earning the second spot on our list, this honorable mention graces its buyers with a large workspace and round shape to allow home cooks to make perfect pizza every time. This model is made of thermarite, which is responsible for the excellent moisture absorption rate this stone offers.
Also, this patented material offers unparalleled heat distribution and heat retention to guarantee the best crispy pizza crust. Thanks to its incredible moisture absorption performance, this model ensures your homemade pizza or baked goods turn out crisper.
Another exciting thing about this 16-inch pizza stones America’s Test Kitchencan is the 0.625-inch thickness for a shorter preheating time and better heat retention. The stone is supplied with a 4 by 5-inch scraper to make cleaning this tool a cinch.
More so, the CastElegance 16″ Round Pizza Stone is versatile, as it comes in handy for both outdoor and indoor cooking or gas and charcoal grilling to achieve mouthwatering taste and flavor. Plus, there’s a free recipe ebook to get you started straight out of the box.
- Large 16-inch cooking space
- 0.625-inch thick for quick heating
- Made from thermarite for excellent moisture absorption
- Versatile design
- Requires extra caution when handling to avoid breaking it
Top 5 – Pizzacraft All-Purpose Baking Stone
For people on a budget and not looking to purchase a tepid baking stone, Pizzacraft All-Purpose Baking Stone has got you covered. This model, like CastElegance 16″ Round Pizza Stone, is versatile – suitable for oven and grill use.
This nice, thick baking stone retains heat for an extended period. Also, it’s safe to use up to 900 degrees F and thermal shock resistant for extreme durability.
Furthermore, this best pizza stone by America’s Test Kitchen is made from cordierite ceramic stones known for its porous nature and incredible moisture absorption retention. Even better, it delivers even heat spread to get rid of the hot spots and guarantee a crispier crust.
With the ThermaBond technology, buyers don’t have to question its durability and versatility. The Pizzacraft All-Purpose Baking Stone is our favorite pick for home cooks or chefs looking to try out a lot of recipes, including artisan-style breads with sumptuous results.
- Made from sturdy cordierite stone
- Delivers high-quality crust
- Ideal for baking large bread in larger ovens
- ⅔-inch thickness for short preheat time
- It does not fit most standard ovens
- It tends to crack
What are some of the benefits of a Pizza Stone?
Pizza stones offer a number of benefits, including:
1. A crispy, delicious crust: Pizza stones help to create a crispy, delicious crust by evenly distributing heat and absorbing moisture.
2. Easy to use: Pizza stones are easy to use and can be used in the oven, on the grill, or even in a campfire.
3. A variety of sizes: Pizza stones are available in a variety of sizes, so you can find one that fits your needs.
4. Affordable: Pizza stones are an affordable way to upgrade your pizza night.
If you’re looking for a way to improve your pizza night, consider investing in a pizza stone! You’ll be glad you did.
Types of Pizza Stone
Many people don’t know that there are different types of pizza stones America’s Test Kitchencan
Here are some of the most popular types:
1. Ceramic Pizza Stones: Ceramic pizza stones are made from natural clay that has been fired in a kiln. They are versatile and can be used in the oven or on the grill.
2. Stone Pizza Stones: Stone pizza stones are made from a variety of materials, including granite, slate, and quartz. They are durable and can withstand high temperatures.
3. Metal Pizza Stones: Metal pizza stones are made from aluminum or stainless steel. They conduct heat well and can create a crispy crust.
4. Portable Pizza Stones: Portable pizza stones are small and lightweight, making them perfect for taking on the go.
No matter what type of pizza stone you choose, you’re sure to enjoy delicious, crispy pizza crusts!
Factors when buying the Best Pizza Stone America’s Test Kitchen
Theere are a few factors you’ll want to consider when purchasing a pizza stone, including:
1. Size: Pizza stones come in a variety of sizes. Choose a size that will fit your needs.
2. Material: Pizza stones are made from different materials, including ceramic, stone, and metal. Consider what material will work best for you.
3. Budget: Pizza stones range in price, so consider your budget when making your purchase.
4. Use: Think about how you’ll be using your pizza stone. Will you be using it in the oven, on the grill, or in a campfire?
5. Cleaning: Some pizza stones require special care and cleaning products. Consider how easy the stone is to clean before making your purchase.
Pizza stones are a great way to get crispy, delicious pizza crusts. Keep these factors in mind when purchasing a pizza stone, and you’re sure to find the perfect one for you!
How to use Pizza Stone safest?
Pizza stones are a great way to get crispy, delicious pizza crusts. However, it’s important to use them safely to avoid any accidents. Here are a few tips for using your pizza stone safely:
1. Read the instructions: Be sure to read the instructions that come with your pizza stone. This will help you understand how to use it properly.
2. Place the stone on a heat-resistant surface: When using your pizza stone, be sure to place it on a heat-resistant surface. This will prevent the stone from cracking or breaking.
3. Preheat the stone: Always preheat your pizza stone before use. This will help ensure that the pizzas cook evenly.
4. Use a pizza peel: A pizza peel will help you transfer the pizzas to and from the stone.
5. Let the stone cool before cleaning: Always let the stone cool completely before cleaning it. This will prevent the stone from cracking or breaking.
Pizza stones are a great way to get crispy, delicious pizza crusts. However, it’s important to use them safely to avoid any accidents. Follow these tips for using your pizza stone safely, and you’re sure to enjoy delicious pizzas!
Frequently Asked Questions Pizza Stone
1. How do I clean a pizza stone?
Pizza stones should be allowed to cool completely before cleaning. Once cooled, you can simply wipe the stone with a damp cloth. Avoid using harsh cleaners or scrubbers, as these can damage the stone.
2. What are some tips for using a pizza stone?
Here are some tips for using a pizza stone:
-Read the instructions that come with your pizza stone. This will help you understand how to use it properly.
-Place the stone on a heat-resistant surface.
-Preheat the stone before use.
-Use a pizza peel to transfer pizzas to and from the stone.
-Let the stone cool before cleaning.
3. Where can I buy a pizza stone?
You can purchase a pizza stone online or at most home goods stores.
If you are in the market for a pizza stone, we highly recommend the one from America’s Test Kitchen. It is by far our favorite and has never let us down. Not only does it produce an amazing pie, but it is also incredibly easy to clean. Be sure to buy one for your kitchen today!